Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Am I exempt from paying NHS dental charges if I'm aged 16, 17 or 18 and in full-time education?

Yes, if you're in full-time education at a school, college, university or similar (e.g. home schooling) then you're automatically entitled to free NHS dental treatment.

This automatic exemption applies until either you either turn 19 years of age or leave full-time education, whichever comes first.

You are generally not considered to be receiving full-time education once you have come off a school/college register or you have finished receiving similar education. However, if you plan to continue in full-time education and have a letter offering you a place for the following term, you would be entitled to help during the break until your 19th birthday.

Work based learning, such as an apprenticeship, isn't considered full-time education.

If you leave education before you turn 18 years of age, you'd still be entitled to free NHS dental treatment for any Course of Treatment (CoT) which starts before your 18th birthday.
16, 17, 18, 6teen, 7teen, 8teen, school, college, uni, university, free

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer