Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How does my Commissioner (Area Team / LHB) request that a patient is examined by a Duty Clinical Advisor?

Your local Commissioner (Area Team / Local Health Board) would need to complete a D7A form and send it to NHS Dental Services.

Requests which may be considered appropriate for a clinical opinion would include:
  • Assessment of the appropriateness and quality of treatment provided under NHS arrangements
  • Complaint resolution where the patient has chosen for ‘Local resolution’ to be carried out by the PCO
  • Complaints about the interpretation of the NHS (GDS/PDS) Regulations
  • NHS Dental Services may wish to contact the PCO directly to discuss the case further and, if appropriate, arrange an appointment at the PCO premises
We're unable to consider a request for a clinical opinion where the patient has already been seen in the last 12 months by a specialist NHS Consultant with regard to the concerns raised or a request that has already been subject to investigation and complaints resolution (under ‘Local resolution’) by the dentist / provider concerned.

Where the patient remains dissatisfied with the outcome, these cases can be referred, by the patient, to the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).

We're unable to offer advice with regard to claims for damages / compensation under civil litigation procedures.