Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How do I apply for a Medical Exemption (MEDEX) certificate to cover my NHS prescriptions?

To apply for a Medical Exemption certificate ask your doctor for an FP92A form. Your GP, hospital or service doctor will sign the form to confirm that your statement is correct. At your GP's discretion, a member of the practice who has access to your medical records can also sign the form.

You should expect to receive your Medical Exemption certificate within 10 working days of us receiving your FP92A application form.

Your certificate will be valid from one month before the date that your application is received and lasts for five years. When your certificate is due to expire it is your responsibility to ensure that it is renewed.

If you live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland and require a Medical Exemption certificate to claim free NHS prescriptions in England you should contact your doctor regarding the completion of an FP92W (Wales), EC92A (Scotland) or HC11B (Northern Ireland).

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer