Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Why have I received a dental Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) when I have received a letter from NHS Help with Health Costs suggesting I am exempt?

If you have made an application to receive help with your health costs via the HC1 application form and indicated you are in receipt one of the below qualifying benefits, you may have received a letter from them rather than a certificate.
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance - Income Based
  • Employment and Support Allowance - Income Related
  • Pension Credit - Guaranteed Credit
  • Universal Credit (in certain circumstances only)
However, the letter also confirms that you should use your award letter as proof of your entitlement.
This response is based on the information you have supplied on your application form and is not confirmation of your exemption. If you were not named on or in receipt of the benefit stated in application, or any other qualifying benefit, at the time of your dental treatment you will be liable for all charges stated on your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.
hc1, hc1 form, hc1 application form, hc2, hc3, help with health costs, low income scheme