Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Does the EHIC cover the provision of oxygen?

If you have a valid EHIC and are travelling within the European Economic Area (including Switzerland), your oxygen can be arranged through your EHIC but you must use the authorised oxygen company for the country that you're visiting.


Please contact the health authority in the country you're visiting to find out who their authorised oxygen company is. You can find the contact details for each EEA country (including Switzerland) here.


You must make sure you make arrangements for the oxygen before you travel as your home supplier generally will not be able to provide oxygen for you.

You can also contact the British Lung Foundation Helpline for further guidance if needed:


  • by telephone on 03000 030 555



Canary Islands

If you have a valid EHIC and are travelling in the Canary Islands, you need to have a minimum of 15 hours a day of prescribed oxygen therapy in order to have treatment organised through the Spanish health authorities. If you do not meet the required minimum of 15 hours a day, you may be expected to pay for your treatment privately.


Please contact the Department of Work and Pensions Overseas Healthcare Team (DWP OHT) on o 0191 218 1999 (option 5) for information on possible reimbursement for the cost of private treatment.


Please remember to retain your receipts.



Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer