Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What should I do if I need medical assistance in a European country?

If you find yourself in an emergency during your visit in Europe dial 112. The European emergency number is valid all in all EEA member states and is free of charge.

You can use it to reach emergency services such as ambulance or police from any telephone or mobile phone free of charge.

Ambulances are not free of charge in all EEA countries - it is advisable to check first that the country you are in provides a free service. You can find a country-by-country guide on the NHS website.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer