Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What can I do if I travel abroad without an EHIC?

If you have not already applied, you will need to contact us so we can process an EHIC application for you.
Once you have a valid EHIC application in place, you will be covered even if you do not have the card with you when travelling.

If you require treatment while abroad, please contact us on:
  • 0044 191 218 1999 (Option 2)
You will need to advise us of the situation and provide us with either your NHS or National Insurance number. If you are entitled, a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) will be emailed to the health care provider so that treatment can be obtained.

Click here to view the EHIC leaflet available on the Department of Health and Social Care website which includes useful information for when you are abroad.


Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer