Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How do I claim a refund of my NHS prescription charges?

Firstly, you must obtain an FP57 receipt at the time of purchase.

You need to take your FP57(s) to any community pharmacy along with your Medical exemption certificate to claim a refund. Your certificate must cover the date the prescription charge(s) were incurred, the FP57(s) will have the date on.

You need to claim your refund within 3 months (less a day) of the date the charge was paid. The pharmacy will refund you the money over the counter.

The FP57 can only be refunded at a community pharmacy. Dispensing GP surgeries and hospitals cannot refund FP57 receipts.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.