Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What types of income are taxable?

Although this list is not exhaustive, examples of taxable income are:
  • Bank and building society interest (not including Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs))
  • Capital Gains income
  • Chargeable event gains from life insurance policies
  • Dividends on company shares (not including dividend income from ISAs)
  • Income from a lodger in your own or family home if more than certain government thresholds
  • Income from a second property
  • Income from full time, part time and temporary employment (if you get perks or benefits from your employer these may also be taxable)
  • Income from outside the UK
  • National Savings and Investments accounts and bonds
  • Profits from self employment (after the deduction of allowable expenses)
  • Personal or company pensions
  • Pensioner bonds
  • Retirement annuity
  • State Pension
  • Trust income

The following benefits are also generally taxable:
  • Bereavement Allowance (previously known as Widows Pension)
  • Carers Allowance
  • Certain payments of Incapacity Benefit
  • Contributions Based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Graduated retirement benefit
  • Income Support when paid to strikers or people involved in a trade dispute
  • Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Pensions payable under the Industrial Death Benefit scheme
  • Statutory Sick Pay
  • Statutory Maternity / Paternity / Adoption Pay
  • Widowed Parent's Allowance

See also...