Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Will you accept the short version of the birth certificate as identification for my dependant?

Yes, the short version of the birth certificate can be accepted if your dependant has the same surname as yourself.
If you and your child(ren) have different surnames, you must send us the long version of their birth certificate instead. This is because the long version features the child's parents’ details. If your name is not listed on the birth certificate, please send either;
  • an original valid passport; or
  • an original up to date Child Benefit letter or Child Tax Credit award notice.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer