Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Can I apply for additional funding if I am in financial hardship?

Non Medical and Dental course students

We are unable to offer you any further support other than the standard NHS Bursary funding, however if you have exhausted all sources of financial help and you are still experiencing financial difficulties, you could enquire with your university about their hardship funds.

Medical and Dental (excluding Dental Hygiene and Therapy) course students

If you have exhausted all other sources of financial help and you are still experiencing financial difficulties, you may be eligible for an NHS Hardship Grant.

All medical and dental students eligible for the NHS Student Bursary (except ‘fees only’ bursary award holders) may apply once they have started to receive their NHS Bursary payments and can provide evidence of their financial situation for the academic year concerned.

Payments will not be made to you if you have chosen not to take up your full student loan or any other form of funding, including any available university hardship funds, that may be available to you.

Applications should be made in writing, attaching details and evidence of your personal financial circumstances, including evidence of essential expenses, along with a letter from your university in support of your application to:

The Operations Manager

NHS Student Bursaries,
Hesketh House,
200-220 Broadway,

You should send evidence that you have already applied for a student loan and any other relevant forms of funding / financial assistance, including any available university hardship funds. Applications cannot be considered if you have not already tried to access these other forms of support first.

Your application will be looked at within 20 working days of it being received and will be treated in the strictest confidence.
access to learning, access, learning, fund
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer