Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Can I claim Childcare Allowance if a relative looks after my child?

Childcare Allowance cannot be paid to a registered child-minder who would normally have parental responsibility for the child, such as your spouse, partner or civil partner.

Childcare Allowance can be paid to another relative, such as a grandparent or aunt, who does not have parental responsibility for the child, as long as:
  • they are a registered childcare provider, and
  • the childcare is provided away from the child’s home, and
  • the care is not solely for the related child (they also look after other children, not including their own).

Please remember to keep your receipts for all childcare costs you pay.