Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Am I still entitled to claim help with my health costs if I'm not receiving payment of my qualifying benefit?

Whether or not you are entitled to help with health costs during a period of non-payment for your qualifying benefit will depend on the reason why your benefit is not being paid.

If you're not receiving any payments due to a sanction of your qualifying benefit (except Universal Credit) you won't be entitled to any help with your health costs during the period of the sanction.
You remain entitled during a period of sanctioning of Universal Credit payments, as long as you would be receiving payment if it wasn't for the sanction. 

Example: you're entitled to an amount of money after all the standard assessment deductions, however, you've been sanctioned that full amount for the assessment period, you'd remain entitled to help.
Underlying entitlement
If you have an underlying entitlement to a qualifying benefit, for example due to also being entitled to a different higher value benefit, you're not entitled to any help with your health costs.

Reduced due to overpayment
If you're receiving payment of a qualifying benefit, but an earlier overpayment is currently being recovered from you and reducing your payments, you can continue to claim help with your health costs.

Awarded nil
If you've not been awarded any payments based on your benefit assessment, you'rel not be entitled to help with your health costs during the period your award is nil. This is regardless of whether national insurance contributions are being paid on your behalf.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.


Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer