Template Details

Document Does my Universal Credit entitle me to help with my health costs?

Being in receipt or named on an award of Universal Credit can entitle you to help with your health costs in certain circumstances, however, it depends on where and when the costs are being incurred.

More information can be found below and further guidance regarding all benefits is available on the GOV.UK website.

Costs incurred in England on or after 1 December 2016 and in Scotland/Wales on or after 1 April 2017

To be entitled to claim help with your health costs you must be receiving Universal Credit, either as a single person or as a member of a couple, and:

  1. for the last complete assessment period* you and your partner (if you have one) had either no earnings or net earnings** of £435.00 or less. Or;

for the last complete assessment period* you and your partner (if you have one) had either no earnings or net earnings** of £935.00 or less, and had a child element included in your award or had limited capability for work

You would also be entitled if you are a dependent child or qualifying young person of someone who meets the above criteria in paragraph (b).

Your Universal Credit statement can be shown as evidence to receive help with your health costs if you meet the above criteria. It is your responsibility to check your entitlement before signing any declaration to claim your help with health costs.

If the declaration form or prescription you are signing does not have an option for Universal Credit, you should tick the box for income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

You are making a declaration of entitlement based on your last complete Universal Credit assessment period. You cannot claim help with your health costs if you do not meet the qualifying criteria, regardless of whether you expect to meet this criteria at the end of your current assessment period. You should pay and then claim a refund if you meet the qualifying criteria once your current assessment period has finished.

*Your assessment period will run for a calendar month from the date of your claim for Universal Credit (this will be on your statement), and between the same dates each month after that.

**Your net earnings are referred to as ‘Take-home pay’ on your Universal Credit statement.

Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland have their own scheme regulations to follow. Queries should be directed to CSA Belfast.

If you live in Northern Ireland, the regulations regarding entitlement to help with health costs when receiving Universal Credit differ. You can contact Central Services Agency (CSA) for further information regarding this.

Telephone: 0300 555 0113


See also...

Contact Us

If this document does not fit your needs, you can contact us. Contact Us