Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Am I exempt from paying NHS charges if I'm aged 16 - 19 and have finished full-time education?

No, you're not automatically entitled to help with your health costs (other than NHS dental treatment) if you've left / finished full-time education, unless you get or are included in, an award of someone getting a qualifying benefit or hold a valid exemption certificate in your name.

You will still be entitled to free NHS dental treatment for any course of treatment which starts before your 18th birthday, regardless to whether you're in full-time education or not. If you've started a course of NHS dental treatment at 18 years of age whilst in full-time education but you've since left before completing the course, you're entitled to finish this course without paying.

If you're not automatically entitled, you can complete an HC1 application form to be financially assessed for help with your health costs.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.
left studies, quit
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer