Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Am I exempt from paying NHS charges if I'm aged 16 - 18 and in full-time education?

Yes, if you're aged 16 - 18 and in full-time education at a school, college, university or similar (e.g. home schooling) then you're automatically entitled to the following help:
  • Free NHS Prescriptions
  • Free NHS Dental treatment
  • Free NHS sight test
  • A voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
  • Free NHS wigs and fabric supports
This automatic exemption will last until either you turn 19 or leave full-time education, whichever comes first.

If you leave full-time education before you turn 18, you're still entitled to free NHS dental treatment for any course of treatment which starts before your 18th birthday.

However, you're not automatically entitled to help with travel costs to receive NHS care unless your parent / guardian receive a qualifying benefit 
or NHS Tax Credit Exemption certificate.

If none of this applies to you, you can complete an HC1 application form to see whether you may still be entitled to the help.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer