Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What other forms of support could I be entitled to?

Council Tax Exemption or Discount

Full time students are usually either exempt from Council Tax or are entitled to discount disregards.

Student Loans
If you're undertaking an undergraduate course you may be entitled to apply to Student Finance England for a student loan.
Postgraduate course students entitled to Placement Travel Allowance (PTA) only may be eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Loan.

University and college hardship funds

If you've taken up your full entitlement to a bursary and a student loan (if applicable) and you're in need of further financial support, you may be able to apply for financial help from your university / college's hardship fund.

For further information, you should speak to your student support / services office or their student union.

NHS Low Income Scheme
If you're not automatically exempt from paying NHS charges, but have a low income, you may be entitled to claim full or partial help with these costs by applying to the NHS Low Income Scheme.
The NHS Low Income Scheme covers:
  • NHS prescriptions
  • NHS dental treatment
  • sight tests, glasses and contact lenses
  • travel to receive NHS treatment
  • NHS wigs and fabric supports

Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC)
If you're not automatically exempt from paying NHS charges and aren't eligible for full help with these costs via the NHS Low Income Scheme, you could save money on NHS prescription charges by buying a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC).


Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer