Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Can I change from a dependent student to an independent student?

Yes, you could potentially change from being a dependent to independent student if your circumstances change.
If your circumstances change, you will need to inform us of this through your BOSS account and submit the relevant evidence.

Your status would change from a dependent to an independent student if:
  • You get married
  • Your parent(s) pass away
  • You become irreconcilably estranged from your parents.
  • You have a child including legal guardianship or adoption of a partner's child. If you become independent for this reason, you will only become independent at the start of the next academic year.
If you did not realise you fulfilled the criteria to be deemed independent at the start of your academic year, you have nine months from the start of the academic year to inform us and send in relevant evidence. Your bursary can then be reassessed.

If you miss the nine month deadline, you cannot apply for the reassessment of your award for that particular academic year. However, this does not prevent you from applying for subsequent years as an independent student.

If your course started before the 1 September 2017 the deadline is six months rather than nine.


See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer