Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document If I was a dependent student who now has care of a child will I change to an independent student?

If you were classed as a dependent student and subsequently have care of a child, your status can be changed from the start of your next academic year when you reapply. However, you can apply for Dependents Allowance from the date of your change in circumstances.

If you wish to claim Dependants Allowance you should complete a Change of Circumstances form through your BOSS account and send any relevant evidence along with your student coversheet. If you live with a partner, you will need to apply for both your child and your partner, and declare their income as this will be taken into account in this assessment. When completing your Change of Circumstances please ensure you answer ‘yes’ to the question “Is your change due to applying for Dependents Allowance for the first time?” if you have not previously applied for Dependents Allowance.
Your Basic Award and any Extra Weeks Allowance will still be assessed using your parent(s) income declared in your original application.
When completing your Change of Circumstances you will be asked in the Student Award Status section if you have care of a child. As this section is asking for your status at the first day of the academic year, you should answer ‘No’ to this if the change took place after this date.

What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:

  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope – This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.

When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and self-addressed envelope (if evidence included) will result in the processing of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.


See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer