Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document I am a dependent student but I have just married, how will this affect my bursary?

If you were a dependent student who has now married, your Basic Bursary will need to be reassessed on your spouse's / civil partner's income / expenses.

Your Basic Award and Extra Weeks Allowance would then be an aggregate amount based on the award prior to your change in circumstances, which was assessed your parents’ contribution, and the new entitlement assessed on your spouse’s / civil partner's contribution from the date of marriage to the end of the academic year.

You will need to submit a new application through your BOSS account and send in the requested evidence on the 'Evidence Required’ email.

As part of the assessment of this application, you may notice your application being rejected and a Change of Circumstances being submitted on your behalf via the applicable enrolment period. This is not an indication of any issue with your application and you should ignore the generic email you receive resulting from the Change of Circumstances we submit.

If you are a diploma student who started their course prior to 1 September 2012, you will not need to have your basic award reassessed as it would have been non means tested.

What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:

  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope – This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.

When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and self-addressed envelope (if evidence included) will result in the processing of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.



Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer