Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Who pays the tuition fees for an NHS Bursary funded nursing, midwifery or AHP course?

For courses that started prior to 1 August 2017 your tuition fee contribution will continue to be met by the NHS via the relevant Local Education Training Board (LETB) directly to your university.
For pre-registration healthcare courses starting on or after  1 August 17 students should  apply via the Student Loans Company (SLC) for a tuition fee loan, and, where applicable, a means-tested maintenance loan.

If you are eligible, the SLC will pay your fees directly to your university and you will start to repay these - along with any other loan awards you have taken out - after you graduate, if your income is above a certain level.

For more information on student loan funding, visit
Exceptions: 2017/18 Transitional arrangements
Students commencing one of following courses between 1 August 2017 and 31 July 2018 may still be eligible for NHS Bursary funding from 2017/18:
  • postgraduate pre-registration healthcare programmes (if studying on a place commissioned by Health Education England),
  • pre-registration dental hygiene and dental therapy courses
  • Certain designated part time pre-registration healthcare programmes: however students attending one of these programmes will need to apply for tuition fees and Disabled Students Allowances through the Student Loans Company.  They will be able to apply for a non-repayable maintenance bursary from the NHSBSA.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer