Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How do I repay an overpayment?

Deductions from future bursary instalments

Most overpayments are recovered by reducing your future bursary payments. We will contact you when this is the case. You can view the deductions that have been applied to your bursary by viewing your Payment Schedule in your BOSS account. 

If you are no longer in receipt of a bursary or the reduction to your remaining bursary entitlement did not clear the whole overpayment you will be sent a letter informing you of the outstanding overpayment. Following this letter you will receive an invoice from our finance team within 6 weeks. Please do not contact the finance team to discuss repayment until you have received your invoice. For overpayments that are not being taken from your bursary payment you can make repayments via the following methods:


If you decide to repay the overpayment by cheque, you should make it payable to “NHS Student Bursaries” and quote the invoice number on the reverse of your cheque. Please send your cheque to us at the address below.
Accounts Receivable, Finance Team, Stella House, Goldcrest Way, Newburn Riverside, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE15 8NY

Online by debit or credit card

You can also make a payment on the NHSBSA website.

Click here to make a payment on the NHSBSA website. 

To repay by this method, you will need to enter your student bursary reference number and your invoice number.
You can either pay the full amount of the invoice or if you have agreed to an instalment plan with the Finance Team, you will need to specify the amount agreed on.
If you are paying by instalments, you will need to pay each month via the website.

Debit and credit cards cannot be accepted over the telephone.

BACS transfer

You can pay the balance by BACS transfer or standing order.

The reference number in the BACS Transfer should be your SBA reference / invoice number without the '000000'.

For example, if your SBA reference is SBA999999 and your invoice number is 00000012345, your BACS transfer reference should be 999999 / 12345.

Our bank name: Nat West
Our account name: NHSBSA Student Bursary
Sort code: 60-70-80
Account number: 10013113

If you have withdrawn from your course and make no attempt to repay the overpayment balance this will be passed to a debt recovery company. The outstanding amount may be able to be recovered from your new bursary entitlement if you return to the course but you will need to contact finance on 0300 330 1345 (option 2) to arrange this.



Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer