Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What evidence can I send to prove self employed income or company directorship?

Any of the following forms of evidence can be accepted to prove self-employed income or company directorship:
  • Personal tax calculation / computation statement from HMRC
  • Self-assessment tax return
  • Statement of accounts
  • Accountant’s letter
  • Annual tax summary
The Declaration of Self Assessment Income form (PSM65) is no longer accepted as a valid confirmation of self employed income and has been removed from our website.

A Tax Credit Summary / Award letter will not be accepted as proof of income from self-employment.

If you do not yet have the evidence for the requested financial year, the previous year’s evidence may be accepted if sent with a letter of explanation. The requested financial year's evidence should be sent at a later date once it becomes available. There is no need to submit a Change in Circumstances or send in a Current Income Assessment form.

If you have no accounts at all due to only recently starting your business, you can send a signed cover letter stating this. The letter should include the date the business was set up and you should provide any other information you feel is relevant.

What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:
  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope – This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.
When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and a self-addressed envelope (if you're sending evidence to us) will result in the assessment of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer