Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What evidence can I send to prove income from lettings or lodgings?

If you or your parent(s) / partner receives income from land, property or furnished lettings the preferred evidence is a self-assessment form or ‘tax return’. This is the most accurate evidence and quotes the actual gross ‘taxable profit’, which is the figure we use to calculate the bursary.

The self-assessment or ‘tax return’ form is normally the form that is completed for HMRC tax purposes. We do not require the full profit and loss accounts.

If none of the above are available then the following form of evidence may be accepted as proof of income:
  • Tenancy agreement(s)
If there is a mortgage on the property, we may be able to deduct this from the income. For proof of these expenses we require one of the below:
  • letter from mortgage provider
  • statement from mortgage provider
Please also send a covering letter explaining why you cannot supply the preferred evidence.

We cannot advise you on our helpline if the above evidence will be accepted. This decision will be made by a bursary processor at the time of assessment.

If the most recent financial year’s tax return is not yet available then we may be able to accept the previous year’s along with a letter of explanation.

What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:
  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope – This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.
When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and a self-addressed envelope (if you're sending evidence to us) will result in the assessment of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer