Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What can I send if my parent is divorced and is unable to obtain the document required?

Please send any official document which confirms that your parent is divorced.

If you do not have any official documentation, please provide a covering letter from your parent advising the reason they do not have the divorce document and a letter signed by one of the following:
  • Consular officer - someone who works for an Embassy or Consul, either employed by the UK government or another country's government
  • Minister of religion – such as a Rabbi, Priest or Imam
  • Medical or legal practitioner – someone currently registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) such as a GP or consultant
  • Established civil servant - someone who is employed by the Crown (excluding those employed by the Monarch herself) who has passed any compulsory probation period for new Civil Service employees
  • Teacher – someone with a teaching qualification and who is working as a teacher currently
  • Police officer – such as someone currently working within the UK police force
The letter should give details of the situation and include the person’s job title, their employer, their contact details, their relationship to you and be written on headed paper if applicable.

If your parent is currently single, they can instead send us a covering letter explaining this and provide evidence of their single status, such as a Tax Credit award letter or Council Tax letter showing single occupancy status.

If your parent has since re-married they can instead send us their new marriage certificate and a covering letter to explain.

What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:
  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope – This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.
When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and a self-addressed envelope (if you're sending evidence to us) will result in the assessment of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.
divorced, divorced abroad, no divorce proof, no divorce doc, decree nisi, no decree nisi, nisi
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer