Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Do I need to send evidence of my Child Benefit every year?

When applying for Dependants Allowance for the first time you will have to submit proof of child benefit for all dependent children.

If the child is over 16 we require proof that they are still in full time education and a Child Benefit letter for each year of your course. We are unable to just accept this information with your first application as your child's circumstances may change during your course e.g. they may leave full-time education.

For children who are up to school leaving age you do not need to send in proof of Child Benefit when reapplying for dependants allowance in the subsequent years of your course. You only need to send in proof of Child Benefit again if you have a shared living arrangement for the children.

If you are unable to send the relevant years Child Benefit letter, you should send a recent bank statement showing Child Benefit payments being paid into your account or the relevant years Child Tax Credit letter instead. We can also accept the most recent letter you have, as long as it confirms the award of Child Benefit for the same number of children claimed for in the Dependants Allowance section of your BOSS application.

If you are not in receipt of either Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits due to your household income being too high, you should send the letter which shows your entitlement has ceased. If you do not have this letter, you should instead send a covering letter explaining this.

What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:
  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope – This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.
When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and self-addressed envelope (if you're posting evidence to us) will result in the processing of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer