Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What evidence is required to claim Childcare Allowance?

If you are in receipt of Working Tax Credits (WTC) we require your most recent Tax Credits award letter from HMRC to show you are not in receipt of the child care element of WTC. This must be the full award letter, not just a few pages from it. However, it can be a provisional version if you have not yet received your final award.

If your award letter shows you received the childcare element but also states the date this ended, please also send in a cover letter to highlight this.

No other form of evidence can be accepted. If you do not have your letter, you can get a duplicate copy from HMRC. Please be aware if the letter is not provided then this may delay the assessment of your childcare application.

An award letter will not be accepted if it shows that you did not qualify for the childcare element, due to levels of income for example. The award letter must show that you are not claiming the childcare element in order for it to be acceptable.  

You do not need to send any evidence to prove you are not in receipt Working Tax Credit.

Children aged 15 or 16 years of age
You may be considered for Childcare Allowance for a child aged 15 or 16 if the child has learning difficulties or is registered as having special educational needs.
In order to be considered for this, we will require the following additional evidence to assist your application:
  • details of medical evidence showing what disability your child has
  • the child's statement of special educational needs, where applicable.
What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:
  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope – This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.
When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and self-addressed envelope (if you're posting evidence to us) will result in the processing of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.

See also...