Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What evidence is required to claim Dependants Allowance?

The following evidence is required if you wish to claim Dependants Allowance:
  • Proof of all income and expenses declared on the Dependants Allowance application in BOSS.
  • The birth certificates or valid passports for all dependent children who you wish to claim for.
  • One form of ID for your spouse / civil partner / partner (if applicable). Ideally this should be a birth certificate, passport or driving licence. If your partner is a non UK / EU national, we also require their passport or Home Office letter.
  • Evidence that your spouse / civil partner / partner is residing in the UK, for example, a utility bills or bank statement.
  • Child Benefit letter* (a bank statement showing Child Benefit is in payment can be accepted) or Child Tax Credit letter to prove that the child is dependent on you if you have a shared living arrangement for the child.
  • If the child is over 16 and still in full time education we require evidence of this, for example letter of enrolment from a college or 6th form. However, if the child will be turning 16 on or before the start of your academic year but will be entering the final year of secondary school you will not be required to send in evidence as we would be able to determine from the date of birth that your child has not left education.
  • If you are applying for a child over 16 who is not in full time education or applying for an adult dependent, other than a spouse, civil partner or partner, we require evidence to prove they are financially dependent on you, they have no income of their own and no entitlement to claim any form of benefits in their name. Please also include a covering letter to explain their circumstances.
*If you cannot provide proof of Child Benefit as yours or your partner's income is too high to receive it, you should send your letter which shows your entitlement has ceased. If you do not have this letter and do not receive Child Tax Credits, you should send a covering letter explaining this.

What do I need to send with my supporting evidence?

When sending any evidence, correspondence or paper applications you must include the following:
  • Student coversheet - You can print your student coversheet from the "Documents" section of your BOSS account. This contains your unique barcode reference which enables us to locate your BOSS record and link your documents to it.
  • Self-addressed pre-paid return envelope - This enables us to return your evidence to you. We recommend you pay Signed For or Special Delivery postage on this envelope so that you can track the return of your documents.
When posting anything to us, please also write your SBA reference number (you can obtain this from your student coversheet) in the first line of the postal address and your preferred return address on the back of the envelope that you are sending your documents in.

Failure to provide your student coversheet and self-addressed envelope (if you're posting evidence to us) will result in the processing of your application and the return of your documents being delayed. This could also possibly result in a delay to any payment of bursary due to you.
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer