Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Can I be reimbursed the cost of hiring a car or bicycle?

Car and bicycle hire charges can be claimed if this was the cheapest form of transport to your placement. If this is the case, you will need to obtain a letter from your university, which officially certifies that this was the cheapest way of travelling to and from the placement. You may only claim:
  • the cost of hiring the car or bicycle
  • the cost of the mileage to and from your placement site (payable at the normal rate of 28p per mile for motor vehicles, or 20p per mile for bicycles)
  • the cost of any car parking / tunnel tolls
The above information would also apply if you hire a car or bicycle for the duration of your community placement and therefore are trying to claim community mileage.

When completing a Practice Placement Expenses application you should state in section 4 of the claim form that you travelled by either hired car or hired bicycle, complete section 5 with the daily journey details and then input the total cost in section 7 of the claim form in the ‘total allowable costs’ box.


See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer