Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document If I am a Section 7(2) Direction Employer, how do my employees join the NHS Pension Scheme?

A joining or rejoining the NHS Pension Scheme (SS10) form will be completed as normal. If there is more than one member and the employer does not have access to POL (Pensions Online) it is recommended that they complete the Joiner Excel Spreadsheet and send it to 

The vast majority of directions are now New Fair Deal and, due to the automatic enrolment requirement placed upon the employer, do not require completion of the application to contribute to the NHS Pension Scheme  under Section 7(2) Direction (SD65) form.

Some Medical School, Hospice directions who are Section 7(2) employers still require SD65 completion. Employers should look on their direction document, if the title includes 'New Fair Deal' then form SD65 is not required. 

Staff wishing to opt out of the Scheme can continue to do so by completing and submitting the application to leave the NHS Pension Scheme (SD502) form.

For more information, please see the Direction Employer Guides available on our website.

Section 72 direction, employees join

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer