Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Can I nominate a person or organisation to receive the lump sum on death benefit?

If you have membership in the Scheme on or after 1 April 2008 you can make a nomination for any lump sum on death benefit to be paid to a person or organisation other than a legal spouse, registered civil partner or qualifying nominated partner.

The nomination can be for a single individual, multiple individuals or a single organisation.

Nominating an individual or individuals:
  • There is no limit on the amount of individuals that can be nominated.
  • If nominating multiple individuals, the member can opt for the individuals to receive an equal share of the lump sum on death benefit, or enter the proportion of the total that each individual should receive. The total of the proportions entered must equal 100%.
Nominating an organisation:
  • The lump sum on death benefit cannot be split between people and an organisation
  • The lump sum on death benefit can only be nominated to one organisation
An organisation must be one of the following:
  • A body corporate
  • An unincorporated body
  • The member’s personal representative(s)
A body corporate must be a legal entity, such as an:
  • Association
  • Company
  • Person
  • Government
  • Government agency
  • Institution identified by a particular name
An unincorporated body can be:
  • A voluntary association or union. This is also sometimes called a voluntary organisation, unincorporated association, or an association
  • It is a group of individuals who enter into an agreement as volunteers to form a body or organisation to accomplish a purpose
You can find the nomination forms on our website.
nominate lump sum, children not spouse, children lump sum, who can i nominate, children not spouse, not husband, not wife
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer