Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What will happen to my Added Years or Additional Pension if I am made redundant?

You cannot have a refund of the following payments if you leave the scheme due to redundancy:

  • Buying Added Years (AY) by paying extra contributions from your pay.
  • Buying a bigger lump sum for scheme membership before 25 March 1972 by paying extra contributions from your pay.
  • Buying Additional Pension (AP) by instalments.
  • Have been making the payment for at least 12 months.
You will be credited with the extra benefits you have already paid for, but if you choose to claim the pension, the pension benefits you receive from the additional contributions will be actuarially reduced due to your pension being paid before your expected retirement date. The costs of the reduction relating to the additional contributions will not be made up by your employer.
ay, ap, redundancy