Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How do I apply for an EHIC for my child?

UK/EEA national living in the UK

A dependant can be added using one of the following methods:
  • Using our online application service. You will need to take the following steps:
    • Firstly enter your details. If you already have a valid card a message will appear to inform you of this. Please ignore this message and click 'Continue'. You will then be taken to the partner/spouse section. If you do not need to apply for a partner or spouse, please mark the 'No' box and then click 'Continue'.
    • You will then be taken to the dependent children page. On this page click 'Add' and enter the details for your child / children as necessary.
    • Check all the details and submit the application. 
  • Telephone 0300 330 1350
  • By post. You can find the application form on the NHS website. Once completed, please send your application to:
EHIC applications
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle Upon Tyne

UK/EEA national studying abroad

If you are studying abroad in Europe and have been issued an EHIC for the period of study you may add your child using the telephone and postal options above.

Other non-UK residents

If your EHIC requires you to hold a valid S1 form you are unable to add a child using any of the methods above. Please contact the below team using the numbers below to apply for a new S1 which also names your child.
  • 0191 218 1999 if you are calling from the UK.
  • 0044 191 218 1999 if you are calling from outside of the UK.
Non UK/EEA national

If you currently hold a valid EHIC you can apply for your child using the telephone or postal options above.
child, apply, EHIC, card 

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer