Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document I am in the armed forces and live abroad, how do I apply for an EHIC?

This would be dependent on your circumstances. Please see the below scenarios to establish how you can apply.

If you hold a UK or EEA passport

You can apply:
  • Online
  • By telephone on 0300 330 1350 if you are calling from the UK.
  • By telephone on 0044 191 279 0575 if you are calling from outside of the UK.
  • By post. You can find the application form on the NHS website. The completed form needs to be returned to us at: 

    EHIC applications,
    Bridge House,
    152 Pilgrim Street,
    Newcastle Upon Tyne,
    NE1 6SN

In order to apply by post you must have a BFPO address. All British forces personnel working abroad will have a BFPO address which is classed as a UK address. You will be able to obtain this from your commanding officer if you are unsure what it is.

Your partner will also be entitled to apply for a UK-issued EHIC if you live together, regardless of their nationality. If your partner does not have a National Insurance number they should contact HMRC on:
  • 0044 191 203 7010
If you do not hold a UK or EEA passport

You will need to make an application by post with a copy of your visa or warrant, showing that you are part of the UK armed forces.

If you are a civilian working for the armed forces and do not have a BFPO address

In this case if you hold a valid A1 or S1, they can apply using a postal application. If you do not hold an A1 or S1 you will need to ask your employer to contact the overseas healthcare team to discuss what is required on:
  • 0044 191 203 7010
contact, armed forces, live, abroad, apply 
See also...