Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What will happen to the EHIC when the UK leaves the EU?

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal before the 31st of October 2019, your access to healthcare when visiting or living in an EU country is likely to change.

Travellers who intend to use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) must check what the arrangement is with the specific country they are visiting as the card may not be valid. This advice also applies to students studying in the EU. In addition, UK nationals should follow current advice from the government which recommends travellers take out separate travel insurance to cover any healthcare requirements needed in any country within the EU or outside. This is particularly advisable for travellers with a pre-existing or long-term health condition. More information can be found on

If you are a UK nationals living or working in the EU, you are encouraged to register for access to healthcare in the EU/EEA country you live in, as some residents may need to be a long-term resident or pay social security contributions to access free or discounted healthcare. If you are in the process of applying for residency the advice suggests individuals take out separate health insurance.

For residents who use the S1 certificate, this may no longer be valid after the
31st of October 2019. The advice is to check what the latest healthcare arrangements are between the UK and the country British Nationals currently live in. More information can be found on

Until further agreements are reached between the UK and individual EU member states, the government advises UK citizens to follow this latest guidance to ensure they are fully prepared for any unexpected healthcare requirements overseas.

For more information visit the country by country guide on



Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer