Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Am I exempt from paying NHS charges if I am aged 16 - 18 and in full-time education?

Yes, if you're 16, 17 or 18 and in full-time education at a school, college, university or similar (e.g. home schooling) then you're automatically entitled to the following help:
  • NHS Prescriptions
  • NHS Dental treatment
  • NHS sight test
  • Vouchers toward the cost of glasses or contact lenses
  • NHS wigs and fabric supports
This automatic exemption applies until you turn 19 or leave full-time education completely, whichever comes first. Work based learning, such as an apprenticeship, isn't considered full-time education.
You'll not be automatically entitled to help with travel costs to receive NHS care, this is based upon your parent's or legal guardian's situation(s). You're covered if they're:
  • In receipt of a Tax Credit Exemption certificate or a qualifying benefit and
  • Receive a Child Tax Credit payment for you and
  • You have been included as a dependant in the assessment of their tax credit / benefit entitlement.
You'll need to provide evidence that your parent(s) or guardian(s) receive either a Tax Credit Exemption certificate or qualifying benefit and Child Tax Credit.
If you don't fall under the above criteria and you require help with these costs, you will need to complete an HC1 application form.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.


Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer