Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Can I get help with NHS prescription costs if I'm not exempt?

If you feel you're on a low income, you can complete an HC1 form to find out whether your financial circumstances would qualify you for an HC2 certificate which would entitle you to full help with your health costs including free NHS prescriptions.

If you weren't awarded an HC2 certificate or you needed a number of prescription items whilst you await the outcome of an application, you may wish to purchase a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC).

PPCs are currently priced at  for 3 months and  for 12 months. The 12 month certificate is available either as a one off payment or payable by Direct Debit (DD) over 10 months at no extra cost.

If you need 4 or more prescription items in 3 months or 12 or more prescription items in 12 months, a PPC would make you a saving on your NHS prescription costs.

When you purchase any NHS prescriptions that you may want to claim a refund for, please ask for an FP57 receipt at the time of purchase. A refund cannot be considered without an FP57 receipt.

You can buy a PPC or find out more information on our website.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.


Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer