Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document I am going overseas to receive treatment or give birth, will my EHIC cover me?

The S2 provides a customer with cover for specified treatment as a resident of the country they are travelling to.


The S2 certificate is for the purposes stated on the certificate only. Any other state provided healthcare treatment that the customer or dependant may need may be covered by a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), if they are entitled.

If the customer does not intend to return to the UK after their treatment and will ordinarily reside in another country they will need to return their EHIC, once their S2 has expired, as they will no longer be entitled under the conditions it was issued.

Planned treatment
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer