Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document I am living overseas and my spouse is in receipt of a UK exportable benefit but I am not, can I get an EHIC?

You can only apply for an EHIC if you were declared as a dependant on your spouse’s S1 application form. This is processed by the NHSBSA.

If your spouse (the main applicant) dies, your S1 and EHIC may become invalid. You must therefore contact Overseas Healthcare Services (OHS) at the NHS Business Services to determine your eligibility.

You can contact the OHS on:
  • 0191 218 1999 (option 5)  if you are calling from the UK
  • 0044 191 218 1999 (option 5) if you are calling from outside of the Uk
You must apply for your own S1 if you start to receive a UK exportable benefit, including a UK state pension. If you are in receipt of a UK state pension or an exportable benefit the NHSBSA can process your application.

Once your S1 has been registered in the country you reside in, you will need to contact the NHSBSA who would then determine your eligibility and issue an EHIC.
contact, living, working, overseas, UK, exportable, state benefits, state pension, apply, renew, spouse
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer