Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document I am living overseas and I am in receipt of UK exportable state benefits, or a UK state pension, can I get an EHIC?

Once your S1 has been submitted to the local authorities in the country where you live and it has been accepted by Overseas Healthcare Services (OHS), you would need to contact us to determine your eligibility for an EHIC. If you are eligible the OHS will issue an EHIC to you.

To request an EHIC, or renew an expired one, UK State Pensioners and those in receipt of an exportable UK benefits should contact us on:
  • 0191 218 1999 (option 5) if you are calling from the UK
  • 0044 191 218 1999 (option 5) if you are calling from outside of the UK
The telephone line is open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

If you are in receipt of any other UK benefit such as short term Incapacity Benefit or Maternity Allowance, your healthcare cover is subject to different rules. Please contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Exportability Team for further information.

The EHIC will be valid for 5 years or until the expiry date on the original S1 form whichever is shorter.
contact, living, working, overseas, UK, exportable, state benefits, state pension, apply, renew
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Rate this answer