Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What are the Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)?

If you're a postgraduate course student and assessed as eligible for a bursary you can apply for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) at any time during your course.

The allowances help to pay for extra costs that you will incur whilst attending your course as a direct result of your disability, medical condition or Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD). The DSAs are non-income assessed and can help you with the cost of:
  • Items of specialist equipment
  • Non-medical helpers
  • General allowances to covers other course related costs
  • Travel
The allowances are not intended and won't be paid for:
  • Disability related spending which you would incur irrespective of whether or not you were a student. Local Social Service departments may help you with these personal costs
  • Costs that any student might incur, regardless of their disability
  • Services which can reasonably be expected to be provided by your university / college
  • Disabilities, conditions or illnesses that are temporary, recoverable, or will have no effect on your studies
  • EU fees only award students or students only eligible for Placement Travel Allowance (PTA)
  • Students studying on undergraduate courses

See also...