Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What is Parent's Learning Allowance (PLA) and who can claim for it?

Parent's Learning Allowance (PLA) forms part of the additional dependant's allowances and may be available to you if you have one or more children who are wholly or mainly financially dependent on you whilst you are studying. It can be claimed by both full and part time postgraduate students.

In order to apply for PLA all of the following must apply:

  • You're in receipt of the Postgraduate Social Work Bursary; and
  • You have one or more children wholly or mainly financially dependent on you; and
  • Your children are under the age of 19 (for children aged 16 or over, they must still be in full time education. This includes further education, such as college, but doesn't include higher education, such as university).
You can't claim PLA if any of the following apply:
  • You're only receiving the Placement Travel Allowance (PTA) because you have not been included in your college or university's allocated bursary places.
  • Your child is 19 years of age or over at the beginning of the academic year.
  • You're an undergraduate student.

See also...