Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Do I have an NHS Pension?

If you have previously worked for the NHS in England or Wales and are not sure whether you paid into a pension you should first read the Membership Enquiries factsheet on our website.

If after reading this you still think you may have pension membership you can contact our helpdesk on 0300 330 1346 who will be able to look into this for you. If possible please have your National Insurance number to hand in order to assist us in locating any membership.

As some older records are held on an archived system we may request that you complete a membership enquiry form. The form to complete would depend on when you think you  contributed to the Scheme. If this was during a period of employment within the last 7 years you should complete form SM27B and send it to the employer(s) you were working for. If it was during a period of employment over 7 years ago you should complete form SM27C and send this to NHS Pensions directly. The membership enquiry forms can be found on our website in the Membership section.

If you worked in the NHS outside of England or Wales you would need to contact the relevant pension provider on the contact details listed below.

Isle of Man NHS Pension scheme : 0114 229 8367
Northern Ireland NHS Pension scheme: 028 7131 9000
Scottish NHS Pension scheme (SPPA): 01896 893 000

Please note that the NHS Pension is not the state pension. If you have any queries about your state pension please contact:

0845 300 0168

If you are abroad and have a state pension enquiry, please contact the International Pension Centre on:

+44 (0)191 218 7777
missing membership, sm27b, sm27c, nhs pension