Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What is Annual Allowance?

Annual Allowance, introduced on 6 April 2006 as part of the Finance Act 2004, is the maximum amount of pension growth a person can have during a ‘pension input period’ that will benefit from tax relief.

This includes pension savings that the person makes themselves plus any made on their behalf by a third party. The Annual Allowance applies to pension benefits across all registered pension schemes.

The Annual Allowance reduced significantly from £255,000 to £50,000 on 6 April 2011. The Annual Allowance since 6 April 2011 has been:
            Tax Year                                Annual Allowance
            2011/2012                             £50,000
            2012/2013                             £50,000
            2013/2014                             £50,000
            2014/2015                             £40,000
            2015/2016                             £80,000*
            2016/2017                             £40,000
            2017/2018                             £40,000
From 6 April 2015, individuals using HMRC’s benefit flexibilities will trigger the Money Purchase Annual Allowance rules.

From 6 April 2016 if you have a threshold income of over £110,000 you must calculate whether your Annual Allowance is reduced to an amount lower than £40,000. The reduction will be tapered, with the result that the Annual Allowance is reduced by £1 for every £2 of adjusted income you have over £150,000.

*Transitional Annual Allowance rules applied for tax year 2015/2016. For Annual Allowance purposes only, the 2015/2016 tax year was split into two ‘mini’ tax years - the ‘pre-alignment tax year’ and the ‘post-alignment tax year’. Each mini tax year has its own amounts of Annual Allowance.

More information about Annual Allowance can be found on our website.
aa, annual allowance, 
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?