Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document Can I get help with NHS prescription costs if I'm not entitled to an NHS Tax Credit Exemption certificate?

Yes there are ways to get help with your NHS prescription costs if you're not entitled to an NHS Tax Credit Exemption certificate.

If you feel you're on a low income, you should complete an HC1 form to find out whether your financial circumstances would qualify you for an HC2 certificate. This would entitle you to full help with your health costs including free NHS prescriptions.

If you weren't awarded an HC2 certificate or you needed a number of NHS prescription items whilst you await the outcome of a low income application, you may wish to purchase a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC).

PPCs are currently priced at £29.10 for 3 months and £104.00 for 12 months. The 12 month certificate is available either as a one off payment or by Direct Debit (DD) at £10.40 per month over 10 months. If you need 4 or more NHS prescription items in a 3 month period or twelve or more NHS prescription items in a twelve month period, buying a PPC would make you a saving.

You can find out more information and purchase a PPC on our website.

If you purchase any NHS prescriptions that you may want to claim a refund for, please ask for an FP57 receipt at the time of purchase. A refund cannot be considered without an FP57 receipt and must be claimed within 3 months.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.
not exempt, expired, not entitled, do not qualify, ppc, pre payment, prescriptions, nhs prescriptions, free prescriptions, hc1,

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?