Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document How can my partner register for an NHS or National Insurance number?

Living in the UK

If your partner lives with you in the UK they will need to either register with a doctor to obtain an NHS number or contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to register for a National Insurance (NI) number.

Living outside the UK

If you normally reside outside of the UK but are still entitled to an UK issued EHIC, please contact HMRC to register your partner for an NI number. Once they have their NI number an application can be made for an S1 form in your partner’s name.

You can contact HMRC on:
  • 0191 203 7010 if you are calling from the UK.
  • 0044 191 203 7010 if you are calling from outside the UK.
partner, register, NHS, NI, number, national insurance 
See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?