Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document I am leaving the UK to work as an au pair or nanny in an EU country, how do I apply for an EHIC?

If you are a UK, EEA or Swiss national who usually lives in the UK permanently and you are going to work as an au pair or nanny in an EEA country, you can apply for the EHIC by calling our application line on:
  • 0300 330 1350 if you are calling from the UK.
  • 0044 191 279 0575 if you are calling from outside of the UK.

You are only entitled to a UK issued EHIC for the first 12 months. After 12 months you must obtain healthcare cover in the country that you are working in.

If you already hold a valid EHIC you will still need to follow the above procedure and you will be sent a card with a new expiry date.


au pair, nanny, EU, country, apply, work