Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What exportable benefits allow someone to apply for an S1?

Entitlement to an S1 through an exportable benefit (with the exception of State Retirement Pension) would be confirmed by the Department for Work and Pensions Exportability Team or Veterans Agency who would notify the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA).

There are many benefits which can be exported if the applicant moves to another country within the EEA or Switzerland. However, not all of these exportable benefits would entitle an applicant to an S1.

As a general rule, the following benefits are potentially exportable:
  • State Pension
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Bereavement Allowance / Bereavement Support Payment / Widower's Pension
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • War Pension
Any queries regarding your entitlement to an S1 through an exportable benefit should be directed towards the relevant benefit department.