Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document I am living and working overseas and pay compulsory UK National Insurance (NI), can I get an EHIC?

If you're living and working in another EEA country or Switzerland for up to five years and you have a valid A1/S1 form, you may be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC. If you move outside the EEA you won't be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK.

Posted abroad for two years or less

If you have a valid UK-issued EHIC, you can continue to use this to receive healthcare abroad including in the country you are posted to.

If you don't have a valid EHIC and have an A1/S1 form you will need to apply for one.

You must return your EHIC if your posting lasts more than two years.

Posted abroad for more than two years but less than five years

If you have a current valid EHIC and your posting extends beyond two years, you must return your card.

In order to get a new EHIC and have an A1/S1 form or renew an expired one you would need to contact the Overseas Healthcare Services.

You can contact us on:

  • 0191 218 1999 (option 5) if you are calling from the UK
  • 0044 191 218 1999 (option 5) if you are calling from outside of the UK

The telephone line is open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

living, working, overseas, NI, national insurance, apply, renew

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?