Item Welcome to the NHS Business Services Authority Knowledge Base, the place to ask us anything you need to know

Document What should I do if I am unsure whether I am entitled to free NHS prescriptions?

If you are unsure whether you should be paying at the time you collect your NHS prescription, you should pay and request an NHS receipt (form FP57). A standard till or card receipt will not be sufficient and the FP57 form can only be obtained at the time of payment.
If you subsequently confirm you were entitled to free NHS prescriptions you can claim a refund within 3 months (less a day) of collecting your prescription using the FP57 form. You can claim a refund directly by going to any community pharmacy with your FP57 receipt and evidence of your exemption covering the date you paid. Dispensing GP surgeries and hospitals cannot refund FP57s.
Please be aware you can only claim a refund of NHS prescription charges that you paid to the pharmacy at the time. If your charges have arisen through a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) due to incorrectly claiming entitlement, you will not be eligible for a refund of any of these charges.

Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs
You can check what help you could get on our website.

See also...

Need more help?

If this doesn't answer your question please contact us directly or search again. Search Again

Does this answer your question?